Have you been here?
It’s 1:30 am, you wake up with a start certain that you’ve gotten some sleep but just two hours have gone by. Now you’re wide awake, tossing and turning, fluffing your pillow as if any of it would make a difference. You must be alert for that important meeting tomorrow morning. Then it’s 2:30, then it’s 4 am. you’ve managed to doze a little but are now desperate because this is beginning to be a pattern. Your brain feels like it’s stuffed with cotton; you are exhausted and the sun will be coming up shortly. If this is all too familiar, you’re not alone.
Homeopathic medicines (remedies) can be of great help in the treatment of insomnia. Since Homeopathy is not a ‘one size fits all’ system of medicine with one remedy for one problem, all remedies are considered, based on the individual specific symptoms. Remedies are natural and have no side-effects, working to treat the underlying cause of insomnia. Most importantly, homeopathic remedies can be easily discontinued once the problem is resolved.
Below is a list of some of the remedies that might be considered for acute insomnia. If, however, you have a chronic, long-term insomnia, it’s best to consult a trained homeopathic practitioner.
1. Nux Vomica: the typical nux patient leads a sedentary lifestyle, gets to sleep right away but wakes up between 3 and 4 am. with worries or business concerns. When it’s about time to get up the patient is finally able to get some sleep and but must get up and is very tired and irritable Often this state is brought about by the pressure of business or excesses in: overwork, food, alcohol, drugs, or stimulants. These patients are often but not necessarily, Type A personalities, easily excitable and chilly. The patient is sleepy during the day and worse from sitting or watching TV.
2.Coffea: Insomnia from racing thoughts and over-activity of the mind. Awakes or hears every sound. This is a state where pleasurable activity or planning keeps you awake, e.g. wedding or vacation plans. Also, over indulgence in coffee or other decaffeinated beverages may trigger this state.
3.Gelsemium: another remedy from anticipation or excitement. But this is more of an anticipatory dread, they feel the dread of an upcoming event. This makes them feel dull, and sometimes they feel an inner trembling. If you are in this gelsemium state, you can’t fully fall asleep. You are on the edge of sleep and are startled awake with thoughts of the upcoming event you are dreading. When finally asleep, you may have a restless sleep or sometimes a heavy, stupid sleep.
4. Arsenicum: when insomnia is caused by anxiety or fear. Typically the patient wakes up somewhere between midnight and 1 a.m. The patient is restless, has anxious dreams and feels anxious even in his dreams. Sometimes the patient experiences shocks while dropping off to sleep. He dreams of death, fear, sorrow, full of worries. Often sleeps with his hands over his head.
5. Cocculus: when you are too tired to sleep after long-term sleep loss. This can be from getting up with an infant, caring for an infant or caring for an ill person. It is also helpful for those who work a split-shift, or have jet lag. The person may feel irritable, weak and dizzy. Constant drowsiness but is unable too sleep.
6. Aconite: when you think of anguished fear -panic with a racing heart consider the remedy aconite. Sometimes this comes on in the initial stages of acute illness, often after becoming chilled. But this state may also come on after a shock or extreme fright, such as an accident. This results in frightful nightmare and anxious dreams. Aconite was the prime remedy given after 911.
7. Arnica: This is a remedy to consider if you have experienced bruising from an accident or over-exertion. You can’t get to sleep because the bed feels too hard. Many people use arnica for jet lag with great success. The person is over tired and can’t sleep and may feel bruised.
8. Chamomilla: is a mother’s ‘best friend’ for aiding the sleepless child resulting from earaches, colic and teething. The child screams and insists on being carried everywhere.
For more information, contact us and get some sleep!